Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register Team-BHP FAQ New Topics New Posts

Old 26th September 2020, 12:36   #1
BHPian

Default Reliance Jio introduces In-Flight internet services on international flights

Packages are looking costly.
Do we really need the availability of mobile services on flight as well?
Not sure who will be their customers.

Quote:
Jio has announced a partnership with Panasonic Avionics Corporation to launch In-Flight services to its JioPostpaid Plus customers, enabling mobile services like voice and data to those travelling abroad. These service will first begin on 22 international flights and will later be expanded to domestic flights.

The various plans that will be offered are as follows:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 4695
Size:  27.5 KB

To use the service, once the flight is at 20000 feet,
  • Switch on the smartphone and turn-off the Airplane Mode
  • Your phone will automatically connect to the AeroMobile network. The network name may differ dependent on the handset
  • If your phone does not connect to the AeroMobile network automatically, you will need to go to 慍arrier?in your phone settings and manually select AeroMobile
  • Ensure Data Roaming is on to use data services
  • Once connected, you will receive a welcome text and other relevant information
  • You can now use your mobile phone to call, text, email and surf the internet.
SOURCE
coolmind is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:50   #2
BHPian

Its actually quite reasonable. I usually end up paying 10 USD for basic connectivity allowing just 50 MB.

If the flight allows, I always connect.
abhisheksircar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Reliance Jio introduces In-Flight internet services on international flights

How pathetic. The flight was one place where one could enjoy a short respite from phone calls and text messages. Alas the last bastion has fallen. I can forsee flights where several noisy passengers will insist on making or receiving calls speaking loudly and disturbing all others around. Fact is it is a rarest of rare situation where you need to make or receive a call that is a "life and death cannot wait" sort. Most of us are addicted to our phones and text messages as a habit or escape than out of necessity. I might be in a minority of one but I absolutely loved long flights with radio silence. I have landed at the other end to receive all sorts of bad news - death, factory has burnt to the ground, Govt authorities have turned up for a surprise inspection, customer is yelling his lungs out, senior executive has resigned, legal notice has come etc. But none of them I missed not knowing on a peaceful flight.
V.Narayan is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Reliance Jio introduces In-Flight internet services on international flights

Next will be Zoom meetings while flying.
Work from home. Work from plane.
Hope they make the washrooms at least a no wifi zone. Would not want those to get blocked by someone thinking it is an office cubicle!

Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I always work through my flights - even the long haul ones to USA - and find the plan to be quite well-priced for emails & browsing. The last time, I paid like $30 or something for in-flight internet.

Like we have seen with on-ground internet, it's only a matter of time before all flights are "connected" and the prices drop like crazy.

That being said, we can also fully expect rules of no calls or meetings in-flight, so as not to disturb fellow passengers.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Reliance Jio introduces In-Flight internet services on international flights

I am not sure how successful this would be considering the fact that the current inflight internet is painfully slow.
Either way this is not what I like. Imagine, the ruckus a weak hearted/minded passenger can create if they hear some really bad news during the flight! The whole calm atmosphere of the long haul flight will be disrupted. The tantrums they throw may end up getting them arrested when they land. What if, the passenger starts demanding the flight to be turned around? I know it won't happen, but the passenger behavior is inconvenient for the fellow passengers.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 19:57   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Reliance Jio introduces In-Flight internet services on international flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am not sure how successful this would be considering the fact that the current inflight internet is painfully slow.
British Airways had two plans, the last I flew with them. The "faster" plan (more expensive, obviously!) was very useable for emailing & surfing. I could upload attachments without any issue.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I might be in a minority of one but I absolutely loved long flights with radio silence.
Me too. I prefer a relax flight away from usual hustle and bustle. I have done few long haul flights and never felt the necessity of getting connected on board. Near and dear ones know the flight schedule and communication can be planned accordingly.

Some people might make the plane noisy with loud conversations and at times people might receive a bad news leading to unpredictable behaviour.
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 21:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jio plan will attract travellers who have tight work schedules and have to adhere their own deadlines or of their bosses. Besides, workaholics with their deadlines would surely favour such plans and begin to work to utilise their travel time to "work form the air" in contrast to "work from home". Sometimes, air hostesses could get jittery when some of these busy travellers due to their concentration on work are not able to appreciate their instructions, like fastening seat belts while taking off, landing or when the airplane enters an air pocket, starting to rock and roll.

Many children could request and sometimes pester their parents to get the plan which business savvy Jio may also in future target towards children through advertisements. The children will continue to be connected and play games, chat with pals , watch TV or films and so on.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th September 2020 at 22:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 22:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
British Airways had two plans, the last I flew with them. The "faster" plan (more expensive, obviously!) was very useable
Correct. Most airlines will have a basic and a premium plan. If you are flying in business or first, depending on the time of flight it can be super useful on a working day. Am not sure if one can work on a laptop for long in economy though. In certain long non-stop flights, from India to North America it helps you stay fresh even if work is not your priority.

Many airlines will allow you to purchase using your reward points. Usually the packages are per hour or for the flight or even for the whole month in North America/ Europe.

Regarding phone calls, I don’t like people speaking loudly when sitting next to you. And if you have multiple people trying on call, it can be a mess.

This Jio pricing for phones- 100 minutes at Rs 500 appears to be super cheap and can be very bad for guys who enjoy quietness. I am not sure if these are correct prices as these looks too low to me.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2020 at 22:11.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 23:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Not related to plane travel. When I used to travel a lot, for Delhi - Calcutta I would try for a Rajdhani AC 1st in preference to plane. A day of bliss. And one met some interesting people, mainly politicians though.

Todays world - no time to smell the roses. And it looks like now your cotraveller in the next seat wont let you.

Sutripta
Sutripta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 05:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that people here are surprised about internet on airplanes.

It is not a novelty at all but an expected level of service on a plane these days, just like the availability of food and in-seat entertainment.

It has not caught on in Indian domestic yet, but give it another two years you will check how good is the wifi onboard before you cut the ticket.

Vistara's latest deliveries are wifi capable but there is some TRAI/MoD paperwork that needs to be sorted out before inflight wifi can be enabled in India.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Data Ok, voice simply not OK. I will risk e-lynching by saying this, but there is absolutely no one in this world who cannot survive even the longest flight in the world without a phone call.

Even while using data certain services such as zoom, skype, whatsapp video calling etc should be blocked. Thankfully the data plans are still relatively expensive and data cap will be reached quickly while using video and audio, but still they should be blocked. Offering a separate voice plan (such as in the package above) will make feel people like they HAVE to call someone just because they have paid for it. Ridiculous
Malyaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 18:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Regarding phone calls, I don抰 like people speaking loudly when sitting next to you. And if you have multiple people trying on call, it can be a mess.

This Jio pricing for phones- 100 minutes at Rs 500 appears to be super cheap and can be very bad for guys who enjoy quietness. I am not sure if these are correct prices as these looks too low to me.
Correctly said - many of them will prefer to make noise rather than use the bytes for peaceful purposes like doing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Jio plan will attract travellers who have tight work schedules and have to adhere their own deadlines or of their bosses. Besides, workaholics with their deadlines would surely favour such plans and begin to work to utilise their travel time to "work form the air" in contrast to "work from home".
I missed the nuisance of noise pollution resulting from such plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
Data Ok, voice simply not OK. I will risk e-lynching by saying this, but there is absolutely no one in this world who cannot survive even the longest flight in the world without a phone call.

Even while using data certain services such as zoom, skype, whatsapp video calling etc should be blocked. Thankfully the data plans are still relatively expensive and data cap will be reached quickly while using video and audio, but still they should be blocked. Offering a separate voice plan (such as in the package above) will make feel people like they HAVE to call someone just because they have paid for it. Ridiculous
Ideally these should be blocked as you rightly said, but it will be some of the politicians and bureaucrats who will themselves oppose such a decision tooth and nail as many of them will be the ones making more noise while airborne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Next will be Zoom meetings while flying.
Work from home. Work from plane.
Hope they make the washrooms at least a no wifi zone. Would not want those to get blocked by someone thinking it is an office cubicle!

Sutripta
Yes Zoom and Google Meets will happen for all interested stakeholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
How pathetic. The flight was one place where one could enjoy a short respite from phone calls and text messages. Alas the last bastion has fallen. I can forsee flights where several noisy passengers will insist on making or receiving calls speaking loudly and disturbing all others around. Fact is it is a rarest of rare situation where you need to make or receive a call that is a "life and death cannot wait" sort. Most of us are addicted to our phones and text messages as a habit or escape than out of necessity. I might be in a minority of one but I absolutely loved long flights with radio silence. I have landed at the other end to receive all sorts of bad news - death, factory has burnt to the ground, Govt authorities have turned up for a surprise inspection, customer is yelling his lungs out, senior executive has resigned, legal notice has come etc. But none of them I missed not knowing on a peaceful flight.
Rightly said ! I prefer reading books while on flights, because that's where one finds silence and it very easy to concentrate.

I am reminded of travel in train compartments, where in the dead of the night silence there is no audible noise other than that from the wheel to rail track connection and resulting friction plus the occasional blowing of the engine horn. The train halts at a railway station and passengers from a family or group enter your compartment and occupy berths around yours. And they start loud discussions on miscellaneous issues, when everyone around is asleep. These new entrants to the train coach continue yelling at the top of their voices and are totally oblivious, indifferent and hidebound to care for their co-passengers who are then in deep sleep, but by now woken and disturbed.

With the "plan"ned voice entry into the passengers cabin of the airplanes, we will see a similar scenario.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 18:49   #15
BHPian

Sorry to be sounding extremely creepy : people might want to live stream the last moments, in the rarest eventuality, the MH370 moments?? We had secretive CVRs, now we would have live, full action, Cabin Activity Streamers...from multiple channels, IN SITU...! :o

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 27th September 2020 at 18:52.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ?000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks
国产精品香蕉视频在线-香蕉视频无限次观看-骚视频